Are you guys sick of book tags? Well, I’m not!
I’ve seen tags centering around Goodreads for years, and I have yet to do any of them. But a few weeks ago this one caught my attention, because it doesn’t ask the ordinary questions (like what are you reading, how is your Goodreads goal going, etc.) and instead assesses the average Goodreads book rating system.
Here is a link to the original video: Goodreads Was Wrong Book Tag | Original
1. What is the highest rated book that you gave a low rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Average Ratings and find the highest rated book you gave a low rating).
Average Rating: 4.23 / My Rating: 2
Everyone seems to love this book, and I honestly couldn’t stand it. I read it a few years ago, so my memory is fuzzy about exactly why I hated it. Though I will say, I was surprised how close most my ratings are to the average reader. For those books with an average rating of above 4, I usually gave them at least 3 stars.
2. What is the lowest rated book that you gave a high rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Avg Ratings, in reverse order, and find the lowest rated book you gave a high rating).
Average Rating: 3.29 / My Rating: 5
I was surprised to see how low the average rating of this book is…or maybe I’m the one with problems, I’m not sure. Anyway, I found most of the books with extremely low average ratings I also disliked, so this is one of the few books I disagreed with.
3. What is the most popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating)
Average Rating: 4.21 / My Rating: 2
I really don’t get why this book series is so popular. The plot is a mess, the characters are flat, and the world breaks its rules constantly. The humor is the only thing that made me give it two stars instead of one. My opinion seems an unpopular one, but I just don’t get the appeal of this book.
4. What is the least popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, in reverse order, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating).
Average Rating: 3.35 / My Rating: 5
I was really surprised that the average was so low! Beowulf is one of the most interesting epic poems of all time, and beautiful to read. I understand it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but to give it so low ratings? Why?
5. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
Average Rating: 3.13 / My Rating: 4 Average Rating: 3 / My Rating: 4
I read The Time Roads a while back, so I don’t remember it, but I enjoyed it at the time. With Japanese-Style Gardens, it did only have a handful of ratings, so I’m sure if more people read it, it would have a better rating.
6. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
Average Rating: 3.17 / My Rating: 2 Average Rating: 3.18 / My Rating: 2
I read both these books a long time ago (like four or five years ago), but I recall they were both pretty terrible. The Darcy one is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but from Mr. Darcy’s perspective, and it lost all the quality of the original classic. The other I can’t remember much about.
7. Choose two books that have an average rating of 4/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
Average Rating: 4.02 / My Rating: 2 Average Rating: 4.02 / My Rating: 2
Both of these books I read in college (for different classes) and both of them I really disliked. The Big Sleep in one of the most famous classic noir novels, but the plot was really all over the place. And Deathless was a pretty disorganized book as well.
8. Choose two books that have an average rating of 2/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
Average Rating: 2.67 / My Rating: 3 Average Rating: 2.86 / My Rating: 3
I have only read a handful of books which are below 3 average stars, and all of them I agree with. So these two are the closest I could get. The first I read years ago and remember nothing about. Red Rain I didn’t like either (I wrote a review for it), but even I gave it a better rating than on average…I’m surprised.
9. Do you tend to agree or disagree with GR average rating and do you use GR as a guide for books you want to read?
I tend to agree with Goodread’s average rating. However, I do not use it as a guide for books I want to read. Actually, I usually try to avoid book reviews before I read a book, because I don’t want to be influenced in my thoughts (sometimes I fail, since I follow so many book review bloggers).
As always, I’m not tagging anyone, but I’m curious to see other blogger’s answers! Have you read any of these books? Disagree with my ratings? What do you think of Goodreads? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments, follow my blog for more madness and, as always,
Best wishes in your life full of adventure,